Cool Wallpaper
Top Picture
Free Picture

Friday, December 11, 2009

Pittsburgh Post Gazette Profiles Jake Matthews

The Pittsburgh Post Gazette profiles the WPIAL's five best guards, four of which have already committed to Division I programs. Cornell recruit, Jake Matthews is among them:
JAKE MATTHEWS

Greensburg Salem

Height/Weight: 6-2, 160.

College: Signed with Cornell, the Ivy League champion the last two years. "Cornell told me Jake was the No. 1 shooting guard they wanted this year," said Greensburg Salem coach Paul Sapotichne.

Check this out: Matthews is a shooting guard who averaged 16.1 points last year for a team that made it to the PIAA Class AAA final. He made 73 3-pointers and shot 39 percent from 3-point range.

Matthews says: "Last year, we had four senior starters. I just need to step up and be more of a leader this year.

"I went to see Cornell play the other day against St. Joseph's. I haven't seen anything I don't like about Cornell. Their offense is perfect for me. It's up-tempo and everyone is a smart player."

Best WPIAL player: "Tom Droney has the size and the smarts. He has the flash and can only get better. I'd kind of lean toward him. The only downfall is that he plays in Class A. But I'm sure if he played Quad-A, he'd perform just as well."

No comments:

Post a Comment