Cool Wallpaper
Top Picture
Free Picture

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Errick Peck in the Indy Star


By Nat Newell
IndyStar.com
March 31, 2009

Cathedral High School basketball star Errick Peck admits the recruiting process was frustrating. He did what the Irish needed, playing inside and leading the seventh-ranked team in Class 4A in rebounding; but major Division I programs didn't get to see what the 6-foot-6 forward could do out on the floor and no scholarship offers were extended.The situation was disappointing, but Peck recognizes most people would embrace his second choice: He has committed to Cornell.

"I was looking for a major Division 1 [program] but I believe this is the best thing," said Peck, who had offers from six mid-major programs. "Looking at the academic side of things, it's the Ivy League. From the athletic standpoint, I'll get an opportunity to play right away and they've played in the NCAA Tournament the last two years so I'll receive that exposure."

Peck, who plans to major in Business Administration, averaged 14.4 points and 11.1 rebounds for a 20-3 Cathedral team but will have to play on the perimeter at the Division I level. He expected to get an opportunity to showcase those skills for his summer team but injuries forced him inside then, too. Penn State was recruiting him but dropped out and an offer from Indiana or Purdue never materialized.

"It's very frustrating because I feel like I can play with those (Big Ten) players after practicing with (Purdue recruit) Kelsey (Barlow)," Peck said of his Irish teammate. "(Playing inside) hurt me a lot. (But) I believe this is the best thing. I still have this hunger to work harder because I've been disrespected. I'll get the chance to play in the NCAA Tournament and you right your own ticket then."

No comments:

Post a Comment